Geert Poels is head of UGentMIS, which he founded in 2005. He is full professor of Management Information Systems (since October 1, 2012) and member of the professorial staff of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University (since October 1, 2002). He is member of the University Research Council. He also teaches and directs master dissertation research at IC Institute (Beersel, Belgium).
Within UGentMIS he coordinates the Enterprise Modelling research cluster. His personal research and research together with academic scholars, companies, post-doctoral researchers, PhD students and Master students relates to six lines of research:
(1) Design of a Business Process Architecture Description Language – with colleagues from UGentMIS and UCLM, Spain;
(2) Automated Modelling of User Stories and Behaviour-Driven Design scenarios – with colleagues from SLU, United States & PhD student Abhimanyu Gupta;
(3) Design and application of a Value Co-Creation Ontology for value modelling and continuous business model planning – with colleagues from UGentMIS, The Open University, The Netherlands and UNIBZ, Italy, and in collaboration with the Dutch company VDMbee;
(4) Redesigning the conceptual model of COBIT for IT Governance – with colleagues from Antwerp Management School, and in collaboration with PwC and ISACA & PhD student Dirk Steuperaert;
(5) Enterprise (Architecture) modelling and management with values and capabilities – with colleagues from the universities of St. Kliment Ochrid and Skopje, Macedonia, colleagues from Inno.com and Master students from IC Institute;
(6) Enterprise (impact) modelling of technology/data-driven business transformation – with Master students at the FEB and in collaboration with the Dutch company VDMbee.
In the period 2008-2018 he was promoter of 12 completed PhD research projects (10 at UGent and 2 at KU Leuven), while currently he is promoter of 8 ongoing PhD projects. Medio 2018 he has 113 publications listed in Web of Science with an h-index of 13. His Scopus h-index is 17. His ResearchGate h-index is 25. His Google Scholar h-index is 29 with over 2900 citations recorded.